After taking a month off, we’re back to start off 2010 with a blog contest! We perused the list of holidays celebrated in January. So many good options! Should we celebrate Peculiar People Day (January 10)? Penguin Awareness Day (January 20)? Squirrel Appreciation Day (January 21)? National Corn Chip Day (January 29)? It was a tough call, but in the end we decided to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 18, 2010).
To celebrate King’s message of peace and nonviolent activism, we’re giving away an audiobook about another, earlier peaceful protester, Rosa Parks. I Am Rosa Parks, written by Rosa Parks with Jim Haskins, is a great introduction for your readers to Parks and the Civil Rights Movement. For more titles about Civil Rights leaders, see last year’s list for Black History Month.
To enter the contest, just leave a comment on this post below telling us how you teach your students about the Civil Rights movement or who the Civil Rights leader you most admire is.
* Leave a comment below (be sure to enter a valid email address, or we won’t be able to contact you if you win!) sharing a story about someone who inspired you and how they inspired you or why they were such an inspiration.
* Tweet (we’re @recordedbooks) or blog about the contest and you can leave a second comment linking to your tweet or post—you’ll get another contest entry. Spread the word!
* Again, be sure you leave a valid email address with your comment so we can contact you. If you’re picked as a winner and we can’t contact you, the prize will got to the next winner. (You don’t need to re-nter your address within the body of the comment, though. Just be sure it’s in the form when you leave your comment.)
* Comments will be assigned a number (first commenter is #1, second is #2, etc). Winners will be picked by random.org according to comment number.
* Drawing will be held on January 29, 2010 at 12:00PM Eastern time. Winners will be contacted by email to get mailing information. The winner will receive one copy the following title on CD: I Am Rosa Parks
CONTEST CLOSED! Not a lot of entries this month! Spread the word so we can get the contest going again. The winner of the January contest is Kurt Johnson – congratulations!